Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Meet the District Winners 2014: Scott Russell

Scott Russell
Bass
Age 29

Aria choices for the region Finals (subject to change)

1. O tu Palermo! - I Vespri Siciliani - Verdi
2. Come dal ciel precipita - Macbeth - Verdi
3. Sì, tra I ceppi - Berenice - Handel
4. Si la rigueur et la vengeance - La Juive - Halévy
5. Hear me O Lord - Susannah - Floyd


Opera Idols: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Scott Russell: I spent most of my childhood in Roanoke Virginia before leaving for college. I spent some time in Washington D.C. before moving to New York. I have a B.M. from Shenandoah University and I'm currently completing my M.M. from Manhattan School of Music.

OI: When did you know you wanted to become an opera singer?
SR: I started college as a Biology major. My junior year I started a voice minor because medical school might like it. It was then that I experienced opera for the first time and the voice faculty suggested I pursue it as a career.

OI: On the day of the auditions, do you have any rituals you follow?
SR: On audition days I try to be as rested and calm as possible. I typically do gentle warm ups at least a couple hours before.

OI: Do you have a favorite opera, aria or composer?  Do you have any 'role models' in the opera world?
SR: My favorite composer is Verdi. I really love all the Verdi bass roles.

OI: What would your dream role be?
SR: King Phillip in Don Carlos.

OI: What upcoming performances do you have?
SR: Commendatore with Merola this summer.