Saturday, January 4, 2014

Meet the District Winners 2014: Felicia Moore

Photo by Kristin Hoebermann
Felicia Moore
Soprano
Age 25

Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change)

1.  Non mi dir – Don Giovanni – Mozart
2.  Einsam in trüben Tagen – Lohengrin- Wagner
3.  Do not utter a word – Vanessa – Barber
4.  Morrò, ma prima in grazia – Un ballo in maschera – Verdi
5.  Pleurez, pleurez mes yeux – Le Cid - Massenet

Opera Idols: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Felicia Moore: I was born and raised in Princeton, NJ, where I stayed for my Bachelor’s at Westminster Choir College. I completed my Master’s in the spring at Mannes College, and now I’m in the process of getting my Artist Diploma at Mannes, studying with Ruth Falcon.

To name some repertoire that’s been on my mind lately…I just performed in Mannes’ production of Il Viaggio a Reims, as Madama Cortese, and this coming summer I’ll be at Opera Theatre of St. Louis as a Gerdine Young Artist, covering Christine Brewer as Madame Lidoine in Dialogues of the Carmelites and covering First Lady in The Magic Flute. It’s really exciting music, and I can’t wait!!

OI: When did you know you wanted to become an opera singer?

FM: I always loved to sing, but had a hard time finding my “niche,” as far as genre. I started taking voice lessons when I was 15, which was about the age when I realized everyone else’s favorite class wasn’t choir like mine. I figured I should follow my gut and apply to conservatories for college, and the rest is history!

Einsam in trüben Tagen at Crested Butte Music Festival's Gala
with Maestro David Stern and the CBMF Orchestra
OI: How will you be preparing for the Regionals in the next few weeks?  On the day of the auditions, do you have any rituals you follow?

FM: I suppose I’ll be preparing like most of the other singers. Lots of rest, focus, and yoga!  One thing I always do before performances or important auditions is text my mom. I know, I know, I’m 25!! I’m too old to be doing that! But I just love that she still tells me to “Have fun!” And it always has been!

OI: Do you have a favorite opera, aria or composer?  Do you have any 'role models' in the opera world?

FM: I remember answering this for my interview last year, and I said Le nozze di FigaroLohengrin, and Un ballo in maschera….and it’s still true!! They are still my all time favorites.

A definite role model in the opera world is Joyce DiDonato. She is such a giving artist, and I really look up to her and the work she does. I had the pleasure of singing in a masterclass for her this past summer at Crested Butte Music Festival, and I’m thrilled to say she is just as kind and humble as she is in all her interviews and video blogs!

OI: What would your dream role be?
As Madama Cortese in Mannes Opera's
Il Viaggio a Reims (photo by Eugenia Ames)

FM: My big dream role is Leonore in Beethoven’s Fidelio. Besides the fact that the music is absolutely stunning, I think she’s one of the strongest female characters I’ve encountered so far in opera. It would be an honor to portray her and her story one day. 

OI: What upcoming performances do you have?

FM: The Opera Index Gala to honor Rosalind Elias on January 12th and performing Ariadne in Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos at the Mannes Opera Scenes on April 11th.