First off, we are extremely excited to introduce our new online application. It is now possible to fill out your application online and submit all your info electronically to the correct region. Just follow the instructions on the Met's website and all your info will be send to us automatically as long as you select the New York District, which then automatically locks you into the Eastern Region.
We encourage you to apply online to facilitate the application process. You will get a confirmation from the Met saying your application has been submitted and then we will contact you as well to confirm your application.
Your application will not be complete until you have submitted your application fee. You can mail us a check made out to MONC/Eastern Region (see address below) or you can pay through Paypal.
If you do not wish to apply through the new online application, you can still download the paper application here. Once you have filled it out you can either email it or mail it to:
Stefanie Van Steelandt
250 East 54th Street #10D
New York, NY 10022
All applications must be received by November 1st, 2013. Late submissions will not be accepted.
After doing this for three years now I have made quite a list of FAQs. If you have any more, don't hesitate to contact me or check out our website.
When it comes to the actual application, please keep the following in mind:
- Read the Governing Regulations carefully and don't forget to sign them when sending in your application. A few things to pay specific attention to:
- Age: Your birth date must fall on or between August 1, 1983 and July 31st, 1993 in order to audition during the 2013-2014 season.
- Past Audition Participants: If you have auditioned in previous seasons, you may participate again this season. Singers who have reached the Grand Finals Concert or who have been in the National Semi-Finals twice can no longer apply. They can, however, apply to be heard by the Metropolitan Opera National Council Education Fund.
- You may audition in any District you wish, regardless if you live in the area or not. If you are selected to continue on to the Region Finals, you must do it in the region of which you were a district winner. For this group, that is the New York District and the Eastern Region.
- At the auditions we will provide you with a pianist. If you wish to bring your own accompanist at your own expensive, you are able to do so. You can mark your choice on your application, and it is okay to change your mind at a later date as long as you let us know.
- The application asks you to provide us with five arias you wish to perform during the auditions. Of these five, you can choose the first one yourself, while the judges will select a second one for you if they find it necessary. The five choices on the application are not set in stone. You can change the arias up to the moment you audition. If you notify us up to a day before your audition we can change the arias for you in our files. If you have any last-minute chances, you can announce them on stage just before you audition. If you continue on to the Region Finals, you can keep the same five arias or you can change them again.
- If you are not a US-Citizen, it is still possible to apply as long as you show proof of a one-year residency or if you are enrolled in a US or Canadian college or conservatory. You will be eligible to receive your prize money, however different tax rules will apply.
- Feedback will not be given at the District Auditions due to the volume of applicants, except to those moving on to the Region Finals. Feedback will be available during the Region Finals for all singers.
When submitting your application, don't forget to include the following:
- The actual application and a signed governing regulations form.
- A résumé - One Page!
- The non-refundable application fee of $30.
- A photocopy of your legal proof of age, such as driver's license, birth certificate or passport.
- A headshot. If you mail in your application a hard-copy is fine, but preferably we would also like to receive a digital copy.
- If applicable, proof of one-year residency or college attendance.
Please keep a copy of your application for your records, especially so you remember which arias you specified. If you applied through the online application, a copy of your application will be emailed to you automatically.
Once your application has been received and processed, we will send you a confirmation email. The exact date and time of your audition will be emailed to you at the beginning of November when all applications have been received.
Please mark the following dates on your calendar when you apply:
- District Auditions: Tuesday November 19th and Wednesday November 20th, 2013 at Merkin Hall, New York, NY
- Region Finals: Thursday January 16th, 2014 at Merkin Hall, New York, NY
- Arrival in New York for Semi-Finalists: Thursday March 20, 2014 (and the following two days)
- National Semi-Finals: Sunday March 23, 2014
- National Grand Finals Concert: Sunday March 30, 2014 (you must be in NY from one week prior for rehearsals…)
The District Auditions and Region Finals are open to the public, so tell your friends and family to keep the dates free as well. More info on attending as an audience member will follow later.