Thursday, May 23, 2013

Where are they now: Felicia Moore

Felicia Moore

Felicia in The Rape of Lucretia at Mannes College

Opera Idols: What have you been up to since the National Council Auditions ended?
Felicia Moore: I’ve been really busy since the auditions; I’ve had the opportunity to perform really gorgeous and rewarding music this year! I performed in a scenes concert in March with Mannes Opera; with scenes from Der Rosenkavalier, Guillaume Tell, Dialogues of the Carmelites, and IphigĂ©nie en Aulide. Then, in April, I made my solo debut at Carnegie Hall with Maestro Mark Shapiro and The Cecilia Chorus of NY. We performed scenes from Tchaikovsky’s The Maid of Orleans and the New York Premiere of Ethel Smyth’s Mass in D. Performing at Carnegie Hall was so amazing; it was even better than I dreamed it would be! Then, in May, I sang the role of Female Chorus in The Rape of Lucretia with Mannes Opera. We were fortunate enough to be reviewed in the New York Times! 


OI: What plans do you have for the summer?
FM: This summer I’ll be participating in the Crested Butte Music Festival in Colorado as a Marcello Giordani Young Artist. I’ll be covering the role of Der Trommler in Der Kaiser von Atlantis, and performing scenes from Lohengrin, Don Giovanni and Idomeneo. It should be a wonderful summer, and I’m so excited!


OI: How has participating in the National Council Auditions changed your career?
FM: Deciding to audition for the Met Council was one of the best decisions I’ve made! The whole process felt like a dream. The connections I’ve made and the guidance I’ve received have been endlessly helpful. I was also able to use the prize money to get new headshots and recordings, which are necessary to help advance a career. I’m so grateful for the Met Council and all their members for all the work they do!


OI: What was your experience like at the MET?
FM: My experience at the Semi-Finals was absolutely perfect. The people at the Met are incredibly encouraging and I really felt they were all “rooting for me”! This also goes for the other singers at the Semi-Finals. They were all very positive and supportive of each other. And singing on the stage of the Metropolitan Opera was extraordinary. It is so much more enormous than I thought it was. It was, to be perfectly honest, overwhelming!! On that stage, I felt like I was taking part in a beautiful and rich tradition. I will never forget it.