Sunday, February 17, 2013

Where are they now: Sofia Antonakos

Sofia Antonakos
http://sofiadianaantonakos.com/

Since winning the Encouragement Award at the District Auditions, Sofia has competed in the Liederkranz Competitions while continuing to study with her singing teacher Mark Oswald. She has put her prize money towards more voice lessons with him.

Competing in auditions is a big part of a singer's life, like Sofia says: "I am getting ready to submit my application to Placido Domingo's Operalia Competition coming up in March. I will continue to compete throughout the year and sing as much as I can."

Sofia's favorite opera is Puccini's Tosca, which is in line with the performance she did last year about the life of Maria Callas. "She is my favorite opera singer. We talked about her life and loves; and I performed her beloved arias."


And how did Sofia feel about auditioning with the Monc Eastern Region?

"I was very excited to compete in this competition. It was a great experience for me. I learned a lot from talking to the judges; they gave me insight on my voice and what I should work on next. I also learned that competing is an art and you have to really work hard and prepare yourself. There are a lot of great singers out there and we can all learn from each other as well. I really enjoyed being a part of the Monc auditions; it helped me grow as a singer and it made me a big fan of other singers. I can't wait to do it again next year."