Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Where are they now - Ricardo Rivera


This season, Ricardo Rivera's operatic performances include a return to the Opera Orchestra of NY as Matthieu in Andrea Chenier opposite the Chenier of Roberto Alagna, Sharpless in Madama Butterfly with the Opera Company of Middlebury, Ashby in La fanciulla del west with Knoxville Opera, and Corifeo in Jorge Lidermann's 1991 opera Antigona Furiosa with the GRAMMY award winning chamber music ensembles eighth blackbird and Pacifica Quartet.  Additionally, he sang in two Eve Queler and Friends concerts, one of which was held at Alice Tully Hall.   

This summer, he will make his debut with the Santa Fe Opera where he will sing the two roles of Thomas Martin and The Hotel Manager in the world premiere of Oscar as well as covering the role of Germont in La Traviata as an Apprentice Artist.






What has winning the Region Finals meant to Ricardo?

Ricardo practicing riding a horse for his
performance as Ashby in Knoxville Opera's production of La fanciulla del west.
"I used the money I got from the National Council Auditions, in part, to purchase two new suits; one in black and one in navy, a tuxedo shirt, cuff links, and a few new dress shirts and ties.  These have proven to be important in subsequent performances and auditions.  I also used the money to live on.  One doesn't make enough money to live on at the beginning of a career.  I am happy to say that since I graduated from school in the Spring of 2012, I have been living off of my singing in performances and competitions.  
I really do appreciate the help the National Council Auditions has given me in the early stages of my career.  I thank the powers that be!"