Friday, January 18, 2013

Meet the Singers 2013: Takaoki Onishi


Takaoki Onishi

Voice Type: Baritone
Age: 27
Home Town: Tokyo, Japan


Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change):


Silvios' Aria - Pagliacci - Leoncavallo
Uzhel ta samaja Tatiana - Eugene Onegin - Tchaikovsky 
È sogno? o realtà - Falstaff -Verdi
Mein Sehnen, mein Wähnen - Die Tote Stadt - Korngold 
Rodrigo's Aria - Don Carlos – Verdi





Takaoki as Blansac in "La scala di seta"
OI: How did you become an opera singer?

TO:  I used to be a tuba player for 6 years at the Brass band club of my mid/high school, and became interested in opera when we did Triumphal March from "Aida". I did some research about the story, started watching operas, and became crazy about it. 


OI: What is your favorite aria/opera/composer? 


TO:   Depends on the mood, but Mozart's Don Giovanni is always my favorite opera. 


OI: How have you been preparing for the Region Finals? 

TO: I just do what I usually do. Sleep well, prepare the music deeply and carefully, and read the text. 


As Masetto in "Don Giovanni" with Ying Fang as Zerlina, Juilliard Opera