Friday, January 11, 2013

Meet the Singers 2013: Sabrina Laney Warren

Sabrina as Pamini in Opera Theater Pittsburgh's
2012 production of The Magic Flute (Sara Salas as
The Queen of the Night, and Juan de Leon as Tamino)

Sabrina Laney Warren

Voice Type: Soprano
Age: 30
Home Town: Nashville, TN
www.sabrinalaneywarren.com

Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change):

Ain't it a pretty night - Susannah - Floyd
Chi il bel sogno di Doretta - La Rondine - Puccini
Ah! Je veux vivre - Roméo et Juliette - Gounod
Je dis que rien ne m'épouvante - Carmen - Bizet
Ah, ich fühls - Die Zauberflöte - Mozart



OI: How did you become an opera singer?

SW:  I always knew I wanted to perform in some way. When I discovered opera I was instantly mesmerized and I knew that was what I wanted to pursue. Intense training, coaching, and auditioning is never easy, but the rewards are so gratifying.


OI: What is your favorite aria/opera/composer? 


SW: I love so many it is hard to choose, but the opera Le Nozze di Figaro holds a special place in my heart. 


OI: How have you been preparing for the Region Finals? 

SW: Of course practicing, but work at this level goes beyond singing notes and rhythms. It is deeper into character situation and mood. Expressing and communicating a character is key to engaging your audience; and working on the details of the music. I also work regularly with my teacher and coach, both are wonderful and insightful.