Saturday, January 19, 2013

Meet the Singers 2013: Rose Sawvel

Rose as Marie from "The Daughter of the Regiment"
 - September 2012

Rose Sawvel

Voice Type: Soprano
Age: 28
Home Town: NYC (but I'm mostly from Denver, CO)
http://www.rosesawvel.com

Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change):

Di piacer mi balza il cor - La Gazza Ladra - Rossini
Mir ist die Ehre - Der Rosenkavaler - Strauss
Salut à la France - La Fille du Régiment - Donizetti
Ah! Douce enfant...pour en faire - Cendrillon - Massenet
Be kind and courteous - A Midsummer Night's Dream – Britten





OI: How did you become an opera singer?

RS:  I was working on my Bachelor's degree in psychology when I started taking voice lessons. I was instantly hooked, went on to pursue a vocal performance and have been singing ever since.


OI: What is your favorite aria/opera/composer? 

RS:   The aria that I could listen to a hundred times every day is Maria Callas singing "Ebben? ne andro lontana" from La Wally. My favorite aria to sing is "Mir ist die Ehre" from Der Rosenkavalier. As far as a favorite opera, I'd have to say La fille du Regiment.  Favorite composer? Definitely Richard Strauss.
 

OI: How have you been preparing for the Region Finals? 

RS: I have been preparing for the Region Finals in a lot of ways; staying in shape vocally, acting and language coachings, and just getting physically and mentally prepared, while remembering to enjoy all this amazing music and my wonderful colleagues.