Thursday, January 10, 2013

Meet the Singers 2013: Matthew Anchel


Matthew Anchel


Voice Type: Bass
Age: 25
Home Town: "Born and raised New Yorker"
www.matthewanchel.com

Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change):


Arise, Ye Subterranean Winds - The Tempest - Purcell
O Isis und Osiris - The Magic Flute - Mozart
Il lacerato spirito- Simon Boccanegra - Verdi
Alvise's aria - La Gioconda - Ponchielli
I’m a lonely man Susannah - Susannah - Floyd





OI: How did you become an opera singer?
MA:  My parents were both opera singers. I wanted to do musical theater, but realized I was more suited to opera.


OI: What is your favorite aria/opera/composer? 

MA: I think my favorite aria is "Ella giammai m'amo!" from Don Carlo, my favorite opera is Salome, favorite composer is Strauss or Verdi.

OI: How have you been preparing for the Region Finals? 

MA: Getting a "humidiflyer" so I don't dry out and get sick on the plane to New York.