Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Meet the Singers 2013: Leela Subramaniam

After introducing our judges, it is now time to get to know our singers a little better.  Check back often to learn more about all of our eleven singers.


Lucia di Lammermoor


Leela Subramaniam


Voice Type: Soprano
Age: 24
Home Town: Los Angeles, California

Aria choices for the Region Finals (subject to change):



Regnava nel silenzio...Quando rapito in estasi - Lucia di Lammermoor - Donizetti
Dis-moi que je suis belle - Thaïs - Massenet
Ruhe sanft, mein holdes Leben - Zaide - Mozart
Be kind and courteous - A Midsummer Night's Dream -Britten 
Son vergin vezzosa - I Puritani - Bellini






OI: How did you become an opera singer?
Thaïs

LS:  I had been singing all my life in church, and when I was a senior in high school I told my mom that I wanted to train classically. My first voice teacher threw me into the world of opera and I fell madly in love with it.


OI: What is your favorite aria/opera/composer? 

LS: That's a hard one! I'm sure my answer would change everyday and tough for me to limit my answer to just one. Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin, Lucia di Lammermoor, and Marriage of Figaro are definitely three of my favorite operas. "D'amor Sull'Ali Rosee" from Il Trovatore is an aria that always gets to me, as is Gremin's aria from Eugene Onegin and "Non mi dir" from Don Giovanni. Verdi, Handel, and Mozart are my favorite opera composers. 


OI: How have you been preparing for the Region Finals? 
LS: With lots of rest, practice, yoga, and poise.