Thursday, December 6, 2012

Divertissement: Holiday Cheers from the Met

Every year, the Met invites New York City to attend the lighting of their Christmas Tree. This year I attended the lighting myself for the first time; a festive event with carols, hot chocolate and a Grand ol' Time.

I am actually writing this in almost freezing temperatures on the Plaza right now, but the tree is just so fascinating and some hot apple cider is keeping me warm. The tree brings out the kid in everyone. Who does not like a train and an airplane?

After the lighting of the tree by Peter Gelb with the help of a nine-year old girl, Ryan Speedo Green and some colleagues come on stage to sing some carols, followed by the Met's Brass Band. What a great tradition, one which many National Council Winners share in.

Stay tuned for some pictures tomorrow, but now I am of to see Mozart's Clemenza di Tito.