Thursday, November 8, 2012

Farewell New York, c/o Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Amadeus, that brilliant movie from 1984 starring Tom Hulce as the title character, is a production that awakened my soul and spirit for the music, the costumes, the content, the production. I was too young to see it when it first came on, but several years later, I watched and listened alert as can be.From 15 years old onward, The Marriage of Figaro remained the opera that I longed to see. Yet it took another 20 years to see it.

And I was not disappointed.

Last weekend was my last full weekend of living in New York; I relocate to beautiful Virginia this coming Friday. Long before knowing that I would be moving, I finally picked up tickets to see Le Nozze, and on Saturday Nov 3 I was transported back to being 15 years old again and treated to a surprisingly fun, smart and even feminist storyline. Not all the songs are catchy but I did not mind because the story held me eager to continue watching. But then there are the songs that are the classics, the ones I remembered so vividly from the movie and that I know so well and never want to end.

I particularly enjoyed the friendship and camaraderie between the two leading ladies, Rosina and Susanna, and their well-tempered love for their respective men.

I do not have another experience of seeing this opera so I cannot compare. I was happy with the production, and taken by the beautiful sets. My companion continues to remark until today about how magnificent the sets were.

So mine is a happy story of an opera living up to my expectations and in many ways, surpassing them. Thank you Mozart, the Met, and New York!

I am sorry to be missing the Auditions next week - good luck to all those who compete!

Syl