I am the contact person when it comes to asking questions about the application and the audition process, so I thought it would be good to provide you with some answers to last year's most frequently asked questions with regards to the application. Check back in a few months to get info on what to expect at the District Auditions (such as what to wear, what to do when sick on the day of your audition...) As usual, our contact information and so much more can be found on our website, and feel free to email me with any questions you have. Plus check out our other articles to go behind the scenes of the 2011-2012 season.
- Read the Governing Regulations carefully and don't forget to sign them when sending in your application. A few things to pay specific attention to:
- Age: Your birth date must fall between August 1, 1982 and July 31st, 1992 in order to audition during the 2012-2013 season.
- Past Audition Participants: If you have auditioned in previous seasons, you may participate again this season. Singers who have reached the Grand Finals Concert or who have been in the National Semi-Finals twice can no longer apply. They can, however, apply to be heard by the Metropolitan Opera National Council Education Fund.
- You may audition in any District you wish, regardless if you live in the area or not. If you are selected to continue on to the Region Finals, you must do it in the region of which you were a district winner. For this group, that is the New York District and the Eastern Region.
- At the auditions we will provide you with a pianist. If you wish to bring your own accompanist at your own expensive, you are able to do so. You can mark your choice on your application, and it is okay to change your mind at a later date as long as you let us know.
- The application asks you to provide us with five arias you wish to perform during the auditions. Of these five, you can choose the first one yourself, while the judges will select a second one for you if they find it necessary. The five choices on the application are not set in stone. You can change the arias up to the moment you audition. If you notify us up to a day before your audition we can change the arias for you in our files. If you have any last-minute chances, you can announce them on stage just before you audition. If you continue on to the Region Finals, you can keep the same five arias or you can change them again.
- If you are not a US-Citizen, it is still possible to apply as long as you show proof of a one-year residency or if you are enrolled in a US or Canadian college or conservatory. You will be eligible to receive your prize money, however different tax rules will apply.
- Feedback will not be given at the District Auditions due to the volume of applicants. Feedback will be available during the Region Finals.
- The actual application and a signed governing regulations form.
- A résumé (one page preferably).
- The non-refundable application fee of $30. This can be paid in the form of a check made out to MONC/Eastern Region.
- A photocopy of your legal proof of age, such as driver's license, birth certificate or passport.
- A headshot. If you mail in your application a hard-copy is fine, but preferably we would also like to receive a digital copy.
- If applicable, proof of one-year residency or college attendance.
- By mail:
Stefanie Van Steelandt
250 East 54th Street #10D
New York, NY 10022
- By email (mail in the application fee or transfer the fee to our Paypal account email@example.com from yours. Please attach a confirmation to your application):
The deadline to submit your application is Friday November 2nd, 2012.
Please keep a copy of your application for your records. Once your application has been received and processed, we will send you a confirmation email. The exact date and time of your audition will be emailed to you at the beginning of November when all applications have been received.
Please mark the following dates on your calendar when you apply:
- District Auditions: Tuesday November 13th through November 15th, 2012 at the Casa Italiana, Columbia University, New York, NY
- Region Finals: Thursday January 24, 2013 at Merkin Hall, New York, NY
- Arrival in New York for Semi-Finalists: Thursday February 28, 2013
- National Semi-Finals: Sunday March 3, 2013
- National Grand Finals Concert: Sunday March 10, 2013