Thursday, March 1, 2012

Will Liverman Recital at Paul Hall, Julliard

Stage at Paul Recital Hall, Julliard School

Now I can say that I've been to Julliard. Sure, it was only as an audience member, but it was as an audience member at a Will Liverman recital, and it was a wonderful feeling to be there with not just other music lovers, but other music students in the room. It was certainly a wonderful event and setting.

I will be sharing some video footage in the near future as part of another post called "A Day In The Life of a MONC Semi Finalist" but I just could not help but share my enjoyment of this evening's performance.

So, this recital is required for his Master of Music Degree and thank you to these schools and their students and their parent(s)/teachers to keep this music alive and require recitals. As a former piano student (in my teen years) I truly dreaded recitals but perhaps if I had both started earlier in my life AND kept at it, I would be able to demonstrate the same passion, talent, mastery of the stage as these young people whom I have had the absolute pleasure of watching perform of late.

The recital, held at Paul Recital Hall, consisted of the following works:
  • Handel's Stoilar angui d'Aletto from Rinaldo
  • Mahler's Wenn mein Schatz Hochzeit macht; Ging heut Morgen ubers Feld; Ich hab ein gluhend Messer; and Die Zwei bauen Augen von meinem schatz from Lieder enes fahrenden Gesellen
  • Bizet's Au fond du temple saint from Les pecheurs de perles featuring Regions contestant Cullen Gandy (look for his profile on this blog!)
  • Ravel's Chanson Romanesque; Chanson epique; and Chanson a boire from Don Quichotte a Dulcinee
  • Gershwin's For You, For Me, For Everyone; They Can't Take that Away from Me; and A Woman is a Sometime Thing from Porgy and Bess
  • Medema's Moses
  • And an encore number from Porgy and Bess
  • with Jillian Zack on Piano
Most notable for me were the Bizet and Medema performances, but in total, the evening's performance brought the house down. Looking forward to sharing the performances online next week. Congratulations to Will Liverman (and Cullen Gandy)!