Friday, February 24, 2012

Meet the Volunteers: Megan Davis


Megan Davis is Of Counsel at a boutique litigation firm in Manhattan where she specializes in commercial litigation and appeals.  After a long day at the office, Megan loves to unwind at the Met.

Opera Idols:  How did you get interested in opera?
Megan Davis:  I took a class about opera when I was in college at Cornell University.  One day, the class took a field trip to see Otello at the Metropolitan Opera.  I have been hooked ever since.

OI:  How did you get involved in MONC/ER?
MD:  I have been a member of the Young Associates program at the Metropolitan Opera for many years, and I am always looking for ways to get more involved.  A few years ago, I started giving backstage tours of the opera house, which has been a dream opportunity.  I never tire of seeing the awe on everyone’s faces when they first set foot on the stage, or when they see the massive size of the sets up close, or when they realize what extremely detailed work goes into every costume.  When I heard that there was an opportunity to help with the National Council Auditions, I jumped at the chance.

OI:  What do you like about being on the committee?
MD:  I love being part of a group of young, like-minded people who are enthusiastic about opera.  It is also so exciting to feel that I am playing a role – even if it is only a tiny one – in helping out the opera stars of the future.

OI:  Do you have any favorite operas/arias/composers?
MD:  The aria that I play over and over again on my Ipod these days is Le Roi de Thul√© from Berlioz’s Damnation de Faust.  It’s beautiful!