Friday, February 10, 2012

Meet the Volunteers: Lara Marcon



Opera Idols: What moved you to join the committee/get involved in this effort?
Lara Marcon:  Like many others, I got involved with the committee through the Young Associates program. I was most eager for the opportunity to give back to an institution and to an art form that has brought so much joy to my life. 

OI: What have you enjoyed about volunteering with the auditions?
LM: It is truly a pleasure to serve on this committee. Great people don't always make a great team together but that is what we have here. It is exciting to be able to meet these dynamic young singers and to support them at such a pivotal moment in their careers.

OI: Do you have a favourite opera/aria/composer/singer?
LM:  I can't pick a favorite opera but I do have a favorite opera story that I was recalling to a patron recently at the regional competition. When my son was being evaluated for speech delays the report cataloged his (very limited) vocabulary divided into real words and nonsense words. On the nonsense words list was "Cio-Cio San." (As you can imagine, it was not spelled correctly).