Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Meet the Singers: Adam Ulrich


Adam Ulrich, Tenor, 27 years old, from Spencerport, NY

Opera Idols: How did you become an opera singer? 
Adam Ulrich: I studied musical theatre as a kid up through to my undergraduate degree. I had a voice teacher who was a veteran opera singer who encouraged me to pursue opera so in graduate school I went in this direction.

OI: Do you come from a musical family? Any singers? 
AU: There is not another trained singer in my family, however my grandmother's brother performed in a Big Band during the 1940's.

OI: Do you have a favourite opera/aria/composer?
AU: Donizetti's Elixir of Love and Lucia de Lammermoor, and La Traviata

OI: Any advice to future auditioners/opera singers?
AU: Every time you sing, give a performance. A audition is never anything less or more than a performance.

OI: What has been your best experience at these MONC ER auditions?
AU: My favorite moment was getting to call my teacher to let her know that I had won the District Auditions.

OI: Do you have any techniques to relax after an audition or any preparation methods on the day of an audition like this?
AU: I like to exercise on the day of singing because it awakens my body and my voice.

:)